Hi! My name is Aaron. I am a California native, and resident of San Francisco since 2009. I am married and have 3 beautiful children. I’ve been programming since 1992 (when I was 10) and building websites since 1997. I studied computer science at California State University, Northridge and have been building software ever since. I got to write code for some very cool projects including, a Medical Imaging Platform for MRI research, an intrusion detection and automated lockdown system for the CSUN network, and the Ground Data System for the NASA Curiosity Rover (just to name a few). I love programming. I’m also a person of deep faith with a deep desire to challenge myself in new areas! In 2007 I left the Jet Propulsion Laboratory to start a software development consultancy (Code Coalition) to build some flexibility into our lives. We put that flexibility to good use!! In 2008 my wife and I spent four months traveling in Israel and India leading a group of college aged Americans on an amazing cross-cultural adventure. We had a great time, and decided to continue leading more groups to Israel and India. In the fall of 2008, we arrived home from India and headed straight to New York where we got trained and ordained as ministers with Jews for Jesus (the sponsoring organization of the trip). I continued programming and consulting, but my work as a minister, mentor, and project leader became central in my life. After our training in New York was complete we moved to San Francisco where we worked out of the Jews for Jesus international Headquarters and embarked on our next great adventure: communal living. For the next four and a half years, we led trips to Israel and India during the summers, and ran a discipleship community out of a 9 bedroom Victorian house on Haight Street during the rest of the year. It was an amazing adventure and we got to mentor some great people. Our daughter Rina and son Rafi were born while we ran the house, but once we had two kids it didn’t make sense for us to live in a communal house anymore so we moved to a cozy little home in the Sunset. Over the years my role within Jews for Jesus grew and I was appointed the Director of Recruitment and Strategic Advancement for the international work of Jews for Jesus. I managed a team (at it’s height I had direct reports), systematized and codified the volunteer and staff recruitment process, travelled on behalf of the Executive Director, and worked on the “hard problems” within the organization. In April, 2015 our family expanded again… our third baby Rocco was born! As a family of 5 living in San Francisco with school-aged children, it became clear we needed a hiatus from globetrotting. I’m currently in the process of transitioning back to full time work as a Software Engineer.
Where can you find Aaron?
Visit Medium for a collection of Aaron’s thoughts on various topics. Visit the writing page on this website for a (semi current) list of my published essays. The best way to contact Aaron is through email, Twitter, or SMS. For business propositions or job offers please connect with Aaron on LinkedIn or via email.
Looking for Aaron Trank’s resume?
1234 35th Ave, San Francisco, CA 94122
Autodidactic problem solver with a strong drive to succeed and a proven track record working in diverse environments with multi-cultural teams. Strong verbal and written communication skills with experience in leading and managing high functioning cross-generational teams. Desiring opportunity to further develop as a programmer in a position that is challenging and has growth potential.
California State University, Northridge – Northridge, CA | BS in Computer Science, 2006
Full Stack Programming
Advanced Problem Solving
Testing & Debugging
Leadership & Management
Software: Eclipse, SWT, Swing, Ant, Omnigraffle, Microsoft Visio, Microsoft Visual Studios, Subversion, GIT, OpenLDAP, Javadoc, JUnit, Doxygen, Mysql, DOJO, JQuery, Hibernate
Standards: XML, XML-RPC, JSON, HTTP, LDAP, JMS, SQL
Certifications: Sun Certified Java Programmer
October 2012 – Present
Jews for Jesus (Religious Non-Profit)
Director of Recruitment and Strategic Advancement San Francisco, CA
- Advised Executive Director, CIO, and CAO on policy and strategy
- Established “Digital Communications” as separate department from “Print Communications” with distinct fundraising and content publishing processes
- Implemented online LMS to provide training and continuing education resources to volunteers and staff
- Developed streamlined recruitment process and implemented use of Electronic forms across HR, employment, and volunteer applications
- Pioneered use of webinars for fundraising
- Launched Spanish language volunteer training program and Spanish language newsletter
- Oversaw team of 10 staff and managed a $500,000 budget for the department
October 2007 – September 2012
Code Coalition (Software Development Consultancy)
Founder | Full Stack Developer San Francisco, CA
- Developed configurable AOL IM chat bot for movie and product promotion (java, xml, hibernate)
- Developed medical imaging platform for applying algorithmic transformations to MRI images (ocaml, java)
- Developed email client for sending personalized bulk messages to mailing list (java, swing)
- Developed prospecting toolkit for searching large whois dataset for sales leads. (python)
February 2008 – September 2012
Jews for Jesus (Religious Non-Profit)
International Program Coordinator San Francisco, CA
Planned, recruited, fundraised, and led 10 week long educational and humanitarian summer trips to Israel and India for groups of 15-24 college students.
- Developed partnerships with orphanages in India to provide volunteers
- Recruited leadership team and participants
- Led fundraising for program
- Supervised leadership team of Israeli and American staff
- Planned and oversaw on-the-ground logistics
- Published and presented paper on Israeli Traveller culture at professional conference.
February 2007 – October 2007
Jet Propulsion Laboratory (NASA Research Lab)
Software Engineer Pasadena, CA
- Programmed features, unit tests, and bug fixes on the Ground Data System (GDS) for the Curiosity Mars rover. (java, jms, ant)
- Developed user interface for telemetry testing monitor (java, swt, ant)
- Developed “Test Automation Toolkit” for automated testing of the GDS. (java, jython, ant)
December 2006 – February 2007
21st Century Insurance (Internal Tools Group)
Programmer Woodland Hills, CA
- Unified and streamlined build process for tools developed across group (ant, java)
April 2006 – December 2006
California State University, Northridge – IT Resources (Identity Management)
Middleware Analyst Northridge, CA
- Programmed new features and bug fixes for the Middleware identity management and messaging service daemons (ocaml, xml-rpc, ldap)
- Developed security analytics daemon for blocking brute force attacks identified by unnatural login attempt patterns (perl, bash)
- Developed xml-rcp client libraries to interface the java portal with the ocaml identity management servers. (java, xml-rpc)
August 2005 – April 2006
Innovation Management Group (Onscreen Keyboard Developer)
Programmer Chatsworth, CA
- Programmed and designed multi-lingual on-screen-keyboard for Windows CE based bar-code scanners and POS devices (c, c++)
- Developed web based code management system for IMG’s application projects with multiple OS platforms and target devices. (c, php, mysql, subversion)
- Supervised team of interns developing international keyboard layouts for bar-code scanners and POS devices.